Resume of Donald W. Larson, MCTS, Former CAPM -- 09/20/2012
I enjoy leading teams as a manager or director, helping the team members achieve their best effectiveness on the project or workflow process. I earned my PMI Certified Associate In Project Management (CAPM), Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS), and passed two Six Sigma Total Quality certifications. I have experience in Fortune 100 global enterprises and smaller organizations. My projects finish on-time and on or under budget, but more importantly, deliver business value. While most of my career has been spent in technology related areas, I'm flexible to other opportunities as they arise. I've led teams of volunteers in a variety of local organizations, such experiences bring a wealth of knowledge and wisdom for all involved.
I am gaining technical experience in Big Data technologies like Hadoop, using Python, Ruby, Hive, and Pig Latin languages with Amazon's Elastic MapReduce Cloud Computing environment.
- PMI's Former Certified Associate In Project Management (CAPM), Certificate Number 487388.
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) for Microsoft Office Project 2007 software with a score 911/1000. Official MCTS Transcript (PDF).
- Six Sigma Total Quality Applications certification from Palomar College.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work individually and in a team environment.
- Software development experience in a commercial environment.
- Experience with the full life cycle development, from system requirements and design engineering stages through maintenance and support phases.
- Ability to meet tight project deadlines, provide accurate time estimates, and generally maintain a high level of personal organization.
- Ability to understand finance business processes and then translate them into systems functionality.
- Excellent management skills and professional demeanor.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Programming Languages: Python, Ruby, Java, XML, C/C++, Hive, Pig Latin.
- Operating Systems: Windows XP, Unix, Mac OS X.
- Database Tools: Amazon Elastic MapReduce Cloud Computing, SQL Server 2008, Hadoop.
- Software Tools: Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project 2007 Professional
- Visualization Analysis Tools: Visio Professional 2007 Pivot Diagrams, Excel 2003 Pivot Tables, Tableau 5.
- Team Mentoring and Leadership skills.
- Toastmaster Public Speaker, Presenter, and Trainer.
Key Technical Accomplishments:
- Conceived and managed several executive initiated projects from basic stakeholder end-goals before advent of desktop project management software.
- Designed many effective database and custom front-ends for business applications.
- Managed several software development projects for reinsurance and management consulting companies.
- Ensured that all project deliverables meet quality, cost, schedule and performance objectives.
- Collaborated with Senior Management, to set priorities, timelines and allocate funds for multiple products.
- Managed progress of projects from design phase to launch.
- Collaborated with Business Development and Product Marketing teams to define requirements for future projects.
- Managed progress of existing projects including determining level of effort, allocating and scheduling resources.
- University of Illinois, Champaign and Chicago (no degree)
- Triton College, Algebra, Trigonometry, Analytic Geometry, and Calculus, River Grove, Illinois (G.P.A. 4.0)
- Palomar College (2006 - 2009):
- Amazon Web Services Webinars:
- Amazon Elastic MapReduce
- Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2011 Session Videos:
- HTTP Live Streaming Update
- iCloud Storage Overview
- What's New in OpenCL
- Advances in OpenGL for Mac OS X Lion
- Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 Webinars:
- Introducing Xcode 4
- Mastering Xcode for IOS 4 Development
- Automating The Creation Of iPad Content
- International Institute for Learning, Inc. Webinars (2008 - present) [20.5 PDU's Earned]:
- Top Ten Tips for Business Process Modeling
- Communication and Negotiation Skills for Project Managers
- Using Agile Project Management to Increase Organizational Value
- Preventing and Minimizing Scope Creep
- Change Management - Organizational and People
- Foundations of Strategic Planning
- Managing Multiple Projects Overview
- The Power of Acknowledgement
- Project Tracking and Reporting MS Project 2007
- Optimizing Project Scheduling with MS Project 2007
- Best Practices in Project Scheduling Using Microsoft Office Project 2007
- PM Methodology Overview
- Benefit of Becoming a Six Sigma Green Belt Overview
- Successfully Integrating PM and Six Sigma Overview
- Tips & Tricks for the Business Analyst Overview
- MS Office Project 2007, Features & Benefits Overview
- Utilizing Business Analysis for PM Success Overview
- Leading Cross Cultural Virtual Teams Overview
- Managing Multiple Projects Overview
- PM Fundamentals Overview
- Microsoft Project Users Group (MPUG) Webinars (2008 - present):
- Use Workflow to Automate your Governance Processes
- News from Microsoft Project Conference 2009
- Microsoft Project for the Advanced User - Learn From the MVP
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007 Advanced Tips & Tricks Training
- Portfolio Management and Governance
- Maximizing the Resource Management Capabilities of Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Project Scheduling Theory
- Building SharePoint Dashboards
- Baseline, Tracking, and, Reporting
- Portfolio Server Overview
- Tips and Tricks Project 2007
- Project Management Institute, San Diego Chapter (2007 - present) [5.5 PDU's Earned]:
- O'Reilly Media Webcasts (2008 - present):
- Hands-on Performance Testing and Analysis with WebPagetest
- How to Reduce Your Pain When Building Distributed Systems
- Publishing without Boundaries
- HTML5 Mobile Web Development
- The State of Hadoop
- Hadoop related Webinars from Cloudera:
- LinkedIn - Beyond the Basics
- Subversive Collaboration
- Pivot Tables in Microsoft Excel
- The Science of Social Media Marketing
- Using ICT (Information & Communications Technology) to Create a Sustainable Business
- Social Business
- Architecting Applications for the Cloud
- 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know
- An Introduction to Easy Mobile Development with PhoneGap
- Getting Started with Amazon Web Services
- 7 Ways to Leverage SharePoint for Project Management Success
- Building RESTful Services with XQuery and XRX
- ScrumWorks Webinars
- Scrum for PMPs: Rolling Wave Planning & Scrum
- Agile EVM: Information For Decision Making
- Technical Debt - The High Cost of Future Change
- Build the right team: Matching People With Scrum Roles
- Story Writing Basics
- Scrum for Project Managers
- Introduction to SCRUM
- The Agilista PM Webinars
- Moving from Failing to Successful Agile Adoption
- Project Management Institute, San Diego Component (PMI-SD)
- Membership Committee team member
- Project of the Year 2010 Committee team member
- 2010 Annual Conference Project of the Year Presentation Session (Chair)
- Instructor Assistant for CAPM-PMP Exam Workshop Spring 2010
- Liaison, Project of the Year 2009
- As an active member, I voluntarily created the following PMI-SD digital videos for 2010:
- Annual Conference, Keynote Speaker Promotion
- Marketing Effort Promotion
- Microsoft Certified Professional
- Toastmasters International - Twin Oaks Toastmasters; Advanced Communicator Silver and Competent Leader (former President)
- San Diego Java Users Group
- Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park; Docent
- Triton College, Adult Education Classes
Background - Business History:
- Newbound, Inc., San Marcos, CA
Partner, President, CFO, and CPO October 2007 to present
- Digital Passages, San Marcos, CA
President 2003 to October 2008
- TDA Inc., San Diego, CA
Software Consultant 2002 - 2002
- ieWild, Inc., San Diego, CA
Software Engineer 2001 - 2001
- IBM, Global Services, San Diego, CA
Project Manager Transition Services 1998 -1999
- EveryDay Objects, Inc., Naperville, IL and Carlsbad, CA
Founding Partner, CFO 1993 -1997
- A.T. Kearney, Inc., Chicago, IL
Technology Analyst 1989 - 1995